Adam Already Had a Solid Life When I Started Coaching Him.
He had a great career, was involved with a number of community organizations, owned a beautiful home, and was well-liked by his circle of friends.
But like many of us, he had a deep knowing there was something bigger out there for him. What he really wanted to do was move to LA to pursue a career in acting.
As is the case when there is a big dream, he had big doubts in the back of his mind:
"What will my family think?"
"Am I crazy for wanting this?"
"It's a huge life change. How do I even start?"
The over simplistic answer is we begin by beginning. The only way to overcome fear is to take massive action. We broke down the "to-do" list into simple steps. He had to get headshots made. He had to make a reel to send to casting offices. He had to get his house in order before he could put it up for sale. He had to find a new place to live in LA.
One by one, he started checking things off the list. However, he was still nervous. Would he really be supported by the Universe as he chased this dream?
For us to truly turn the impossible into the possible, we had to make sure his mindset was right. We worked on getting to the root of his self-limiting beliefs so he could bust through those mental roadblocks. Then I walked him through a guided meditation exercise where I asked him to pick any object that was significant to him and visualize it in his mind. We set an intention for the Universe to show him this symbol as a sign it was time to make a leap.
The next morning, he noticed some birds in his backyard he had never seen before. He asked a friend what kind of birds they were.
It was a pair of turtle doves. By the way, the object he chose was a dove...the Universe gave him two of them.
With a renewed sense of belief and commitment, he moved to LA last Fall and unapologetically showed up for himself and his dream. He went to every audition, open mic night, and training class he could find. Some of them resulted in a small job, many of them resulted in a "thanks, but no thanks."
But what's inspiring was his mindset throughout the process. He was grateful for every opportunity to be seen, regardless of the outcome. He didn't use the failed auditions as an excuse to give up. He knew the "big break" was coming.
Now after only 5 months in LA, I turned on my TV to see this.
That's Adam, playing Cupid in a national TV commercial for EHarmony. Not too shabby for a guy who was working for the State of California and daydreaming about acting 9 months ago. The best part? It's just the beginning of so many bigger things.
There is a powerful driving force inside of every human being that, once we tap into it, can make any vision, dream, or desire a reality. Here are three simple steps to get started:
- See things as they are, but not worse than they are. We want to be truthful about where we are at, without being overly dramatic. If we make things worse than they are, we will convince ourselves it's not worth trying to change. And if there is one sure-fire way to continue to stay stuck, it's by not taking action.
- See things better than they are. I'm fascinated at the ways in which we try to sabotage our vision. A client of mine wanted to get a nicer car to get her kids around in, but felt guilty that it would be insensitive to do when her neighbor was struggling financially. We will compare ourselves to people doing worse than we are so we don't have to take inspired new action. In order to improve our life, we must raise our standards.
- Make it so. This means taking massive action. This means having the guts to know things might not work out on the time table we envisioned, but having the courage to do it anyways. It requires the emotional fitness to keep putting ourselves out there and believe we will be supported by the Universe along the journey.
I don't know what your dream is and what has stopped you from chasing it up until now. However, I know without a doubt having the right mentor, structure, and system can help you fast track your success. I am perpetually amazed and inspired by how quickly my clients take charge and design the life they always wanted, but never though possible.
I have 2 spots open this week for a FREE, 25-minute, breakthrough coaching session. During this powerful coaching session, you and I will:
- Find clarity on what you REALLY want.
- Uncover the core belief that is keeping you stuck.
- Discuss what this belief has cost you up until now.
- Create your next powerful action step to gain momentum in 2017.
Only 2 spots are available. Simply click here to reserve your spot!
With Love + Light,