We're on the Countdown to kickoff!
Whether you like football or not, you will likely be among the millions getting together with friends today to eat, drink, and watch the Broncos and Panthers play in the Super Bowl.
For each team, today marks the culmination of a goal that they set out to achieve at the beginning of the season. For us, it's a good time to check in and reflect on how we are coming on our goals for the year, or perhaps set some new ones.
Why do goals matter? Because if we don't have a clear destination of where we want to go in our life, we will eventually find ourselves lost. It's common sense. But as Brendon Burchard says, we struggle to achieve in our life because don't always "make common sense a common practice."
Case in point-- 55% of Americans failed to set a goal in 2016.
This isn't a new phenomenon. In fact, in 1979 the Harvard Business School surveyed their graduating class about their future plans..
- 84% of their students, the brightest young minds from around the world, had no specific goal for after graduation
- 13% had mentally committed to goal, but didn't put it in writing
- Only 3% had a clear, written goal for their life after graduation
Ten years later, the school followed up with their graduates to see how they were doing.
- The 13% with a mental goal were outearning the 84% with no goal by a 2 to 1 margin
- The 3% with a written goal were earning TEN times more money than the other 97% of graduates COMBINED!
So this morning, I invite you to make an intention of setting a goal. Perhaps it's a big picture goal for the year, or maybe it's just a small goal for the week ahead. In fact, sometimes I think the biggest way to create meaningful change is through a series of smaller changes. Figure out what feels right to you!
And if you are feeling really stuck in the muck of the world and don't know where to start, here are 4 tips to creating a vision for you life.
- Make a list of how you want to FEEL. Rather than set a goal from a place of lack ("I'd like to lose weight"), find a more inspiring, emotion driven statement ("I want to feel vital, healthy, confident, and sexy. I want my confidence to be felt by everyone I meet"). The latter is going to be more motivating to you when the weather is bad and you are tempted to skip the gym day.
- Follow up with a list of things that help you feel the way that you just described. (Yoga, Insanity DVD's, Healthy Eating, Soccer, etc)
- Allow yourself time to dream and visualize what it would feel like to live that way. Picture yourself buying clothes in a smaller size. Visualize people coming up to you to tell you how great you look and how they respect how hard you worked to get there. Picture yourself feeling vital and running a marathon, or performing a physical activity that you've always wanted to try. Jim Carrey says he used meditation and visualization to create a place as one of Hollywood's highest paid actors in the late 90's. Every night, he would drive into the Hollywood hills, look out over the city, and envision his life as one of the biggest actors in their world. Within a year, it happened for him. You have the same ability to create your future!
- Create a vision board. Cut out pictures and phrases that stand out to you, even if you aren't exactly sure why. Paste them on a board and place it in a location where you will see it often during the day.
We live in the era of instant gratification, where we are all looking for the "get rich quick scheme", or the pill to help you lose weight without dieting, but the ONLY way to create massive change is to take massive action in your life.
So to that point, I'm so excited to expand the training that I provide to you in 2016. If you enjoy these weekly emails, you will enjoy my first LIVE TRAINING TELESEMINAR! And it's absolutely free!
Download Your Dreams is happening Thursday, February 18th. I will do a much deeper dive on goals, going in depth as to why 92% of Americans fail to achieve them. I will share the tricks I used to create a new vision for my life, as well as share the reasons why The Secret and the Law of Attraction don't always produce the results that you want. Then, I will teach you the same technique that I used to manifest my goal of being published in The Huffington Post in just two days. You can apply it to any aspect of your life.
Some business mentors of mine have told me that I should charge for this event, but I wanted to share this info with you at no cost. Here's the catch, though. My software I'm using will only allow a certain number of people participate in the call. So if you want this free offer, register by clicking this link.
And if you can't make the live event at 7:30pm EST on February 18th, don't worry! I will record the whole event and send you a link within 24 hours.
This evening, as you are watching the winning team hoist the Super Bowl trophy in the air, know that achieving dreams isn't just for millionaires and pro athletes. You can live your dreams too. I look forward to sharing more with you on February 18th!
Enjoy the game and have a wonderful week!